Sunday, November 14, 2010

Apple Pie and Serenity......

Does that sound cheesy? The title? Hmm, well, I just couldn't come up with anything better! Let me explain.......
I was asked to join a group of women who take turns picking a recipe from the Pioneer Woman website. Then, the recipe choice is told to all the participants and we make it, photograph the process, and share about what we did. I was THRILLED to be asked to do this, as I LOVE cooking and am always interested in learning new recipes. With all that being said, this weeks recipe choice was pretty easy and delicious! It was decided that we would all use the pie crust found on the website and then make whatever pie. I chose an apple pie because I have a whole bunch of apples right now that I need to use up.
Ok, and the serenity part. Well, that's easy. Cooking and baking are my release. When I'm having a bad day, I want to cook something. When someone has a baby or gets sick, I want to make them a meal. When I feel creative, I want to try new recipes or make up my own. Cooking is my art. I love walking into the kitchen and knowing that I have a chance to create something that (hopefully) will make someone happy, that someone might enjoy. I love walking into a grocery store and thinking of different things to make. I wish I had oodles and oodles of money so that I could always buy the best ingredients and all of the ingredients for all of the recipes that I wanted to try out!
While I love all of this cooking and baking, the one thing that I don't want to do too much of is eating! Well, that's not true at all! I wish I could eat and eat and eat! But, my waistline and my pants don't agree =) In order to fulfill my need to cook and also keep myself from gaining oodles and oodles of weight, I choose to make it, taste it, and give it away! I love the creation much more than I want to keep the food and I know that people love getting free food!
Enjoy my first photo-journey of food creating!
Starting with the crust. And, I have to admit......I didn't actually follow the recipe exactly. Well, I should be honest.....I didn't follow the recipe at all! I assumed that it would be the usual butter, flour, salt and ice water pie crust, so I never looked at the recipe before I went grocery shopping. When I realized that I was wrong, it was too late to go back and get what I needed. But, hey, I made a pie! I didn't have enough Crisco or any white vinegar, so I had to use a different recipe.
I love that you can take dry flour, dry salt, dry sugar, mix it with cold butter and ice water and get this.....
*Lunch time break* The pie crust had to chill and my boys were starving and tired. So, quick lunch it was....who doesn't *love* pigs-in-a-blanket?!?!
A quick 10 minutes in the oven after a sweat-breaking 2 minutes of wrapping the hot dogs in the crescent rolls and lunch is served!
Ok, back to the pie.....this is for the filling - a little flour, some sugar and cinnamon. Just waiting on the apples....
And, the streusel topping - brown sugar, flour and butter =) YUM!
Alright, now for the apples.
This was the most work I had to do....peeling, coring and cutting. And I loved it! I loved trying to get the peel off of the apple in one long strip. It really is the simple things =)
All of the ingredients are ready to be assembled, so it's time to roll out the crust.
Right before I started rolling, I realized that I didn't have my pie pan! It's still at a friend's house after I brought a meal to her family =) What did I do? Certainly didn't panic. In cooking there is *almost* always a substitute or an alternate way. I was thinking about using a cake pan instead, but I called my mom just to be sure. I have learned everything I know about cooking and baking from my mom. She's always been a great cook/baker/canner/creator. I know that if I have a question, she can always answer it for me. I asked her about using a cake pan and she said that it would work just fine, it would just be a little harder to get out. And then she gave me a great idea. She said that instead of using the cake pan, I could make it "rustic" style, on a cookie sheet. So, that's exactly what I decided to do. Just roll out a HUGE circle....
Then just pile the filling up in the middle of the circle and fold the crust up around it.
And there you go....*if* you want to stop there =)
I didn't. I added an egg wash to the crust and put the streusel topping on.
And then I sprinkled on a little bit of organic raw sugar, to give it a little sparkle. And then into the oven it went.
While it was baking, I was left to deal with the mess I had created. That's my *LEAST* favorite of my creations. The mess. It would be so perfect if I could cook and bake all that I wanted and then the mess would just take care of itself =)
Alright, dishes finished - now time for pie!!!
And just like I do - I made sure to share it. I took it to work with me and cut it up for myself and my coworkers to enjoy. I even brought a little vanilla ice cream to really complete the experience! Stephanie and Brock loved it! Well, Brock was only interested in the ice cream.
So delicious! It turned out better than I thought it would - even though it made a HUGE mess in my oven and almost started a little fire. Burning sugar is dangerous!
I think I will keep this one in the recipe box and use it again for another chance to bring a smile to some faces!
So, I'd love to know, what have you been making? How do you feel about cooking? And, I would love your feedback about something. Another part of this food blogging is with the pictures. I've always loved photography, but I'm just not very creative about taking pictures and making them look nice. If you could let me know how you think I could improve them, I would love any info and suggestions! Thank you and enjoy =)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Hetrick family said...

This is SO your art form. So crafting comes with a little more "effort", I would MUCH rather be a master in the kitchen seeing as how I don't need to craft 3 times a day, 365 days a year! This pie looks amazing!! I wish I could have tried it.
As for what is cooking here, the crockpot. I am using it almost exclusively for dinner during this phase of Sammy's life. It is that, or eat out! :)
I am going to love watching your food blogging. It makes me feel like I am on my bar stool in your kitchen again, watching the master at work! Miss you!!!

Amber K said...

I have never made apple pie before! It seems to be above my cooking/baking ability. But it looks like you did an amazing job!

Although....I have found a couple of gluten-free piecrust recipes that might shake me out of my pie fear!

Anonymous said...

It was really amazing! I usually don't care for fruity pies, but I LOVED this "rustic" pie as did my husband Joefer! Great job Kristen! I really do want to be a cook and a baker, but I just never seem to muster up the courage to actually bake! I do cook, most nights anyway! Love you and your creations!