Sunday, November 23, 2008

A few of my thoughts this time of year . . .

Well, this time of year always has me thinking about the things that I have. And I usually feel like I am abundantly blessed and that I don't need a thing at all. However, this year, I'm feeling more than blessed. I feel so lucky. As a mom, I've always tried to be the best that I can be for Caden. I tried to be the "supermom" and do it all. But, with Nigel's crazy schedules over the last year and a half, and me being the only parent more than 75% of the time, that was exhausting. Instead of cutting back, I got lazy. I let Caden watch too much tv, I got impatient with him because of my lack of motivation, and I just started to let things slide. Then, the other morning, Caden woke me up bright and early at 6:15am. A normal wake up time for Caden is closer to 8am. I put him back to bed and told him that it was still dark, and if it's still dark, we still sleep. I went back to bed and then I couldn't sleep. While I was lying there, I thought of all of the things that I was doing that I told myself I would never do. I said I would never spank Caden, but I did. I said Caden wouldn't watch tv, but he was watching WAY too much. I said that I wouldn't sit him down to a meal without a vegetable or fruit being on his plate, but I found myself never trying to introduce new things to him. Things that maybe seem small, but to me, it was something that I didn't want to be doing. That morning, at 6:15, I realized that I was taking my job and my role as Caden's mom completely for granted and that I needed to do something to change. Being a parent is not something that you're burdened with. It's a choice you make. But, you have to make the choice every single morning when you get up. And I was choosing, instead, to check out of my role as mom and just let him do his own thing. So, I made some new rules. I set some limits and I took charge. It's time to get this back on track. Because I only have a few short years with Caden all the time at home, and I want them to be the best years and the most memorable years. Here are my new rules. There are only 5, but what more do you need?

1. No Hitting (this has turned into a major problem in my house. Caden hits me when he's frustrated. Me, and only me. If it's a written rule, it might just help us both.)

2. No Yelling (none at all. Who does this help, anyway?)

3. Caden can watch no more than 3 cartoons a day. They have to be split up though, only 2 at a time, maximum.

4. Be patient and be polite.

5. If you're frustrated and angry, you will have a time out - to chill out (even if it's mommy or daddy getting the time out)

And that sums it up. In 5 small sentences, those are the things that I want in my house. And for the last few days, with these new rules in place, I have started to appreciate my son so much more. I've gotten a chance to watch him and see how he imagines and thinks and makes up things that only a 2 1/2 year old could think of. It is so much fun and so much more fulfilling than watching a cartoon with him. And that is why I'm feeling so lucky. I am so lucky to have had the chance to open my eyes again and remember exactly why I love being a mom.

The 2 pictures on the top are of Caden in his favorite place to play. The bathroom linen closet, with a flashlight. He LOVES it in there.


This is the side of Caden that I can't get enough of. He's crazy, all-boy and just a goofy, wonderful child. He makes me smile so many times every day. I love him more than I ever thought I possibly could.


And the one thing that I treasure more than anything else in the world is watching these two guys together. Nothing melts my heart more than the two of them running around the house playing air guitars or wrestling or laughing together and coming up with crazy stories. They are my world and without them, I wouldn't be me and I wouldn't be who I am today. I am so THANKFUL that they are in my life and that they are the way they are. They make me relax, slow down, and truly enjoy the moments that we get to share together. Even air guitar moments, because it's those moments that will be remembered more than anything else. I love you, Nigel and Caden. You two ROCK :)
Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Hetrick family said...

Ahhhh yes....we slip, we stumble, we scream, we spank.....WE LOVE!! It is always going to be a challenge to keep our own selfishness in check, but truly--we always want what is best for them.

At the same time, never feel guilty if you need to "check out" for a LITTLE bit. I have found that getting back a little more "ME" has helped with Liv and Clint lately as well. Great rules!! Aspire to greatness! You have such a good heart! Caden and Nigel are oh so lucky!